For not terribly compelling reasons, I am trying to get my score for My Name is Richard Rozen printed and published semi-professionally. When I wrote the music a year ago, I didn’t put much effort into typesetting the sheet music properly, because I would be the one performing the work, and honestly I had a lot of it memorized anyway. Now I’m paying the price in hours spent poring over the manuscript, tweaking margins and spacing, adjusting page breaks, and adding rehearsal letters. Figuring out the right way to format copyright information has also been a burden.
In all of this, I take for granted how nice it is to have a tool like Sibelius. Even then, I still feel like I’m cheating the age-old art of music printing.